Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Let's hear it for resolutions!

I'm going to blog, like regularly. I swear. I figure it is a resolution I just may keep as I've already had 2 (or 3) glasses of wine today, my supper involved copious amounts of bacon and Old Man and I haven't had "the money talk", so I've failed on my other resolutions in the first 24 hours of the day. I have managed to be kinder to my hubby although not to my kiddos. Just ask them, I took away their computers, again. They get them back tomorrow, but we are instituting a "pay to play" system which involves them completing household tasks in order to earn screen time. GASP! I know, I am horribly cruel, aren't I.

I do intend to eat better this year. My oldest sister, Lu, is still in the hospital after a major scare with her pancreas, in truth I'm not sure her pancreas is officially doing what it is suppose to be doing so she is still technically in a major scare. But she is no longer on a vent or dialysis and there is serious talk of her going home after more than a month in the hospital. So she is recovering.
But that does leave me as a 37 year old (yikes! had a birthday last month) with one sister in her late 40s recovering from pancreatitis and one sister who died of pancreatic cancer in her mid 40s. And there is more family history of pancreas issues. Little sister, Jill, and I are thinking of making t-shirts, "Save the Pancrei!" we've decide "pancrei" is the plural of "pancreas" rather than the mundane "pancreases". I will be eating better, maybe even exercising and I've started drinking less. Just a glass of wine here and there, going several weeks in December without a single drink.

My eating better resolution succumbed to the tradition of black eyed peas on New Year's Day. Of course that didn't exactly work out either. I have a lovely casserole recipe that mimics "Hoppin' John" and provides the needed black eyed peas for good luck in the new year. Not that I believe in all that jazz, really I don't I simply make the recipe once a year on New Year's Day, 'cause I like it, I mean you start by frying some bacon then sauteing onion and green peppers in the bacon grease. How could that be a bad thing for anything but your heart, and possibly your pancreas. But when Old Man went to the grocery, they were out of black eyed peas. So I made it with navy beans. It tasted pretty good. I told the kiddos the first time I made this was 2001 for their Grandpa Fred, Old Man's dad. He really liked it. Old Man remarked maybe we should stop making it as Grandpa Fred died in 2001. Interesting point...

No comments:

Post a Comment