Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Damn noneffective wood knocking!

Last week at Target, I glibly mentioned, "My family has been exposed to the flu several times, and we haven't gotten it, knock on wood!" And then I would, indeed knock on wood. Apparently knocking on wood is not an effective preventative measure for influenza, who know? Please don't answer that.

So I didn't write yesterday, but fiscally and Flyladily it was a good day for me. Not for the whole family, apparently OM and I need to discuss what "absolute necessity" means. Hint, not a 2 liter of Coke Zero AND Root Beer. Although, I read Peace like a River earlier this winter (highly recommend it!) And at one point the family was broke, really broke and in my head I'm thinking, "Yeah, yeah, they're broke, too early in the book for anyone to starve, they'll be fine." And then some miracle money came in (shocker) and they bought coffee. Coffee, they didn't have enough money for coffee, damn, that would suck! For some reason, that hit harder than other books' tales of desperation and hunger. Coffee is an "absolute necessity". But I do want to make clear, I mean coffee made in our own kitchen and currently made from beans we grind, usually big name beans, that may need to change soon, insert sad face here.

Spent no money yesterday, shined my sink and followed Day 2 suggestion on Flylady.com, dress to shoes, no problem as I had to work and tend to wear lace up shoes around the house anyway. Today I needed to get some groceries, OM had picked up a few things on Monday, but missed milk and coffee, so another trip was a necessity. He was home all day with a sick Hope(damn noneffective wood knocking!) I did pretty good, considering I had the guys with me, but made a few oops purchases. Chocolate is a necessity for me, I don't need much but I'm changing a lot right now, let me have my c beans (chocolate and coffee). But Lindor truffles, even on sale, are not a necessity especially when there are M&Ms in the house.

Yesterday, I stopped at the library, carrying an almost, kinda healthy Hope. Her fever wasn't over a hundred yet, but I could see it was coming. I didn't let her touch anything! Anyhoo, I borrowed a couple books and an audio book on money management, because if you have a problem, there's a book for that! The audio book is a Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover". I've heard a ton about him, but this was the first time I'd listened to him. A bit abrasive for my taste, but not bad. He started by talking about having to pay bills back before he went through his bankruptcy and saw the error in his ways. And he said, "I didn't feel like some powerful adult; instead I felt like a little boy inside me who was very afraid - afraid of this month's bills..."hmm, that sounds very familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment