Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Doughnut anyone?

So it is January 28th, and I'm doing alright by my New Year resolutions, if we can gauge it that way. Most people, including me, tend to think of resolutions as an all or nothing type of thing. Either you follow them or you don't, the morning you miss your first workout, take a bite of the doughnut, make an impulse purchase, you have wrecked it. To hell with it, might as well eat the whole dozen doughnuts. I am actively fighting that viewpoint. I heard an "expert" once, I think on Oprah, who said every bite is a decision. It kinda changed my life. Well, not all at once, but it really made me think. I took a bite of a doughnut, now what? Do I eat the rest of the thing, or do I say, "Oops," and get on with my life. Not really sure why I making this about doughnuts, I'm not actually a big fan. Give me chocolate any day of the week! But let's say the doughnut in questions has 240 calories (I'll looked that up, regular glazed) well, what do you think, 10 bites per doughnut? So one bite would have 24 calories. I'm not saying you should go out and eat one bite, I'm saying if you do, don't beat yourself up about it. If you missed this mornings workout, go tomorrow, or walk in the afternoon. If you bought something you shouldn't have, take it back! Or just resolve to stay out of the store tomorrow!

Now there are some all or nothings, some alcoholics really can't have a drink. And one (big) bite of a doughnut could do damage to a person's blood sugar. And if the one thing you bought yesterday, was a car, you got some problems, honey! But for the most part a little slip doesn't need to be the end of the story.

So I have not blogged every weekday in January, by a long shot, but I have more days than any previous month. My house is NOT company ready at anytime, but the bathrooms have been cleanish almost every night. And money is still an issue, and it will be for awhile. But I am so proud of OM and I. We sat down on Sunday and looked at where we've spent our money in the last three months. Then we actually planned how to spend our money this month. It still looks like there will be more month than money, but we are doing what we can and hoping for the best. And we did not fight about it, we talked. So proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment